Pages

Saturday, December 10, 2011

How Much Technology Is Enough?

I am generally a minimalist, at least when I am designing or implementing information systems. To me, minimalism means doing it all, but not to excess.

So when I go out to dinner, I will have a steak, a baked potato, a spinach salad and some red wine but will have a small steak and a reasonable amount of wine.

I realize that many people would quibble with that definition of minimalism, so instead in this post I will use the term "optimal" to mean "everything you need but nothing that you don't need."

While I feel that the finished product should be optimal, I do not feel that a project's resources should be only just enough. Instead, I believe in what a colleague once referred to as "cheap insurance." By this I mean that I believe in providing an excess of whatever critical resources can be cheaply and easily procured.

For example, I often buy a USB external disk (which we call a "can") or two just for the project to make sure that disk space and back up will not be a problem. USB cans are cheaper than having a project delay or a project  disaster. Similarly, I keep a few unused computer system units around because you never know when you will need a special purpose machine or want go provide a contractor with a machine.

All this keeping of stuff makes me s bit of s techno pack rat; although the difference between techno pack rat and project savior is often timing or dumb luck. And shelving is cheaper than failure.

Since we often help customers get off of old platforms, I have another reason (or, according to some people, rationalization) for keeping dated technology around: the ridiculous pace at which the high tech world changes.

Even applied technology tends to be very much of its time: often the dated peripheral has to match the dated system unit and match the dated driver running under the dated operating system. All too often trying to use a shiny new peripheral on a mature system simply does not work; worse, sometimes it works to some extent, sucking up your time as you fiddling a vain attempt to get full functionality.

Another reason that I hoard old tech is that I have a deep respect for working systems. I know from painful experience that every time you fiddle with a working system you risk having a systdm that will never work again. Am I a nervous Nellie or a scarred veteran? Opinion vary, but I will stick to my cautious ways. I like taking chances just fine if I have a fall. Ack position.

Not only do I fear that working systems are only working until you fiddle with them: I also fear that projects of more than trivial scope never go as planned. I know that contingency planning is good but not enough, so I want more: I want options. I want flexibility. So I need lots of extra stuff in order to be able to suddenly decide that the system would work better if there were two servers instead of one, etc.

I find that debugging distributed information systems sometimes requires creating a parallel universe. If the bug or issue or misconfiguration or mismatch is deep enough, you need a testbed in which to try changing fundamental aspects of the system. Sometimes I need a consult from an external expert, in which I want to be able to deliver a working prototype to them while still having a working prototype in house.

So I find that in order to deliver enough product, I need way more support than I expect. However, I notice that the same people who tell me I am going overboard on the technology resources for projects are often also the people whose output is lacking that final polish, those extra features that distinguish adequate from good and good from great. Shelving is relative cheap: I am going to keep pushing for great.

(Although even I have my limits: I have 8 bit NICs and CGA video cards I would be willing to part with at a great price.)

No comments:

Post a Comment